integrity . responsibility . service
choosing a contractor
Choosing the right contractor is the first step toward a successful project.
Finding a qualified and capable building professional does not have to be difficult. There are a number of factors that you should consider in choosing the right contractor for your project.
1. Ensure your contractor is properly licensed, bonded and insured [general liability and worker's compensation].
2. Ensure that the contractor is capable of performing the desired work. Inquire about past projects the contractor has completed that are similar to yours.
3. Get multiple quotes for your project. Compare the quality and scope of proposed work given by different contractors. This is often a way to determine the depth of expertise and quality of interest the contractor takes in your project.
4. Ask for references. A quality contractor should be able to provide multiple references, from clients as well as from material suppliers and subcontractors.
5. Check your contractor's professional affiliations. Quality and reliable contractors will often be involved with and members of local, state and national associations.
6. Ensure that you have good chemistry with your contractor. You will be working closely with your contractor throughout your project. You will want to be sure that you get along well with your contractor on a personal level.